Advanced Function Presentation™ (AFP™) is the industry-leading architecture for mission-critical transaction printing. It provides an end-to-end presentation solution that supports centralized resource management and high print volume and speeds.
Advanced Function Presentation™ (AFP™) is a page description language introduced in 1984 initially as Advanced Function Printing. It was first developed for mainframes and then brought down to minis and workstations. AFP is implemented on the various platforms by Print Services Facility (PSF) software, which generates the native IBM printer language, IPDS™ (Intelligent Printer Data Stream™), and depending on the version, PostScript and LaserJet PCL as well.
As originally conceived and developed, AFP was a system of architectures and processes aimed at printing documents on paper. It is still unparalleled in system management of printers and printer resources.
Ecrion products support compliance for the MO:DCA format.
Specific AFP Compliance:
- Use AFP raster/outline fonts, Adobe® Type1 and TrueType fonts
- Supports TIFF, JPEG, PNG, GIF and all major image formats
- Supports SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics)
- Bar code support
- Color support for all elements
- Hyphenation in 30+ languages
- Grayscale Methods
- Write 0x5A sentinels between AFP records.
- Reuse image resources
- MO:DCA resolution
- Rasterize Transparent Images
- Font Kerning
- Many other features